Who we are
Our website address is: https://folkworks.org
What personal data we collect and why we collect it
When visitors leave comments on the site we collect the data shown in the comments form, and also the visitor’s IP address and browser user agent string to help spam detection.
If you upload images to the website, do not embed location data (EXIF GPS) included. Visitors to the website can download and extract any location data from images on the website.
PayPal stores all credit card information behind a secure firewall. FolkWorks does not store credit card information. We make every effort to safeguard your information. We are not responsible for lost or stolen information.
When visitors submit comments on the site we collect the data shown in the comments form, and also the visitor’s IP address and browser user agent string to help spam detection. Feedback submitted on any of our forms may be used to improve or modify our platform based on user experience. Comments about your experience on the site and how it has helped you may be used on our site as testimonials. If you are concerned about your identity on our site, please use an alias/avatar/alternate email address to safeguard your identity.
If you leave a comment on our site you may opt-in to saving your name, email address and website in cookies. These are for your convenience so that you do not have to fill in your details again when you leave another comment. These cookies will last for one year.
If you visit our login page, we will set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser.
When you log in, we will also set up several cookies to save your login information and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for two days, and screen options cookies last for a year. If you select “Remember Me”, your login will persist for two weeks. If you log out of your account, the login cookies will be removed.
If you edit or publish an article, an additional cookie will be saved in your browser. This cookie includes no personal data and simply indicates the post ID of the article you just edited. It expires after 1 day.
Embedded content from other websites
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
A Google Analytics tracking code is installed on our site to collect data about using cookies to monitor your interaction with content on our website. Analytics information includes Internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, Internet service provider (ISP), referring/exit pages, platform type, and date/time stamp. We use the information to analyze site usage, administer the site, understand usage and navigation trends in aggregate, and determine the relevance of content. This information, however, is not linked to any personally identifiable information.
Who we share your data with
We do not share your data with anyone or any 3rd party services unless noted above.
How long we retain your data
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
For users that register on our website (if any), we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
What rights you have over your data
If you have an account on this site, or have left comments, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
Where we send your data
Visitor comments may be checked through an automated spam detection service.
Your contact information
Contact information collected with your subscription or in contact and support forms may be used to share information with you about new services or changes to services provided through our website. We will never share your information with any 3rd party services except those noted above that support the use of this website. We will never sell your information and never use your information for any purposes except those related to the use of this website and the services provided herein.
How we protect your data
The FolkWorks site stores your data behind a secure firewall. We make every effort to safeguard your information. We are not responsible for lost or stolen information.
What automated tracking/profiling we do with user data
- Pages you’ve viewed: to understand the most popular content and how to better guide users to find information on our site.
- Location, IP address, and browser type: we’ll use this for purposes like estimating taxes and shipping
- Keep track of cart contents while you’re browsing our site.
- When you purchase a membership from us, we’ll ask you to provide information including your name, billing address, shipping address, email address, phone number, credit card/payment details and optional account information like username and password. We’ll use this information for purposes, such as, to send you information about your account and order
- Respond to your requests, including refunds and complaints
- Process payments and prevent fraud
- Set up your membership account
- Comply with any legal obligations we have, such as calculating taxes
- Improve our site offerings
- Send you marketing messages, if you choose to receive them
- If you create an account, we will store your name, address, email and phone number, which will be used to populate the checkout for future membership renewals and purchases.
- We generally store information about you for as long as we need the information for the purposes for which we collect and use it, and we are not legally required to continue to keep it. For example, we will store order information only as long as required for tax and accounting purposes. This includes your name, email address, and billing and shipping addresses.
- We will also store comments or reviews if you choose to leave them.