TOP TEN FOR 2012
- Punch Brothers – Who’s Feeling Young Now
I wonder how long it will take for people to realize just how genius this group is. PB’s latest effort is both progressive and innovative yet derivative of several historic genres. I go deeper down the rabbit hole with every listen (listen to “Moonshiner” from their latest EP Ahoy! if there’s still a doubt in your mind….).
- John Fullbright – From the Ground Up
This Oklahoma native is the real deal. Honestly had to pull the car over the first time I heard his music on NPR’s Fresh Air.
- Black Prairie – A Tear in the Eye is a Wound in the Heart
Excellent bluegrass/old time side project from the members of the Decemberists. The record is incredibly atmospheric, haunting and beautiful.
- I Draw Slow – Redhills
Sounds straight out of Appalachia — you’d never guess this group is actually from Dublin. Can’t wait for them to tour in the US.
- Ben Howard – Every Kingdom
Not even sure what genre this is — definitely not bluegrass or even folk — but there’s no denying this is a revolutionary album.
- Sara Watkins – Sun Midnight Sun
Former Nickel Creek member is back in fine form with her second solo effort.
- Buddy Miller & Jim Lauderdale — Buddy & Jim
Some of the finest songwriters of our time, finally recording together.
- Kathleen Edwards – Voyageur
This album — produced by Justin Vernon of Bon Iver — is perfect listening from start to finish.
- Spirit Family Reunion – No Separation
This Brooklyn band gives me incredible hope for the future of roots music. An excellent debut album from a group with an even better live show.
- Cahalen Morrison & Eli West – Our Lady of the Tall Trees
I could listen to these guys all day. That’s all I can say.
- The Avett Brothers – The Carpenter
- The Stray Birds – The Stray Birds
- Old Crow Medicine Show – Carry Me Back
- Various Artists – This One’s For Him: A Tribute to Guy Clark
Amy Reitnouer is the co-creator and editor-in-chief of the roots, bluegrass, and Americana music blog “The Bluegrass Situation”. The east coast transplant has lived in London, Nashville, and Brooklyn, and now resides near downtown Los Angeles.”
Here’s a link to a Radio playlist Amy made with tracks from each of the aforementioned albums
FAVORITE CUTS (SINGLES)
- Punch Brothers – Moonshiner
- John Fullbright – Jericho
- Black Prairie – Nowhere, Massachusetts
- I Draw Slow – Goldmine
- Ben Howard – The Wolves
- Sara Watkins – When It Pleases You
- Buddy Miller & Jim Lauderdale – I Lost My Job of Loving You
- Kathleen Edwards – Change The Sheets
- Spirit Family Reunion – Too Young To Burn
- Cahalen Morrison & Eli West – Like a Stone
- The Avett Brothers – February Seven
- The Stray Birds – Dream in Blue
- Old Crow Medicine Show – Levi
- Ron Sexsmith – Broken Hearted People